When blood sugars are swinging too high or too low throughout the day it can cause a tremendous amount of negative symptoms,
The main ones being:
- Chronic fatigue
- Cravings for carbs/sugar throughout the day
- Irritability, lack of focus, concentration and a foggy head
- Fat storage (as opposed to fat metabolism/reduction)
The first three symptoms listed could definitely have a negative impact on your golf game.
The last symptom is usually a symptom most people don’t want to see!
How to Prevent Blood Sugar Imbalances?
Ensure your meals are ‘balanced’ and NOT carb-heavy!
Of the three macronutrients (protein, carbs, and fat), CARBOHYDRATES break down to sugar (glucose) in your body which then enters the bloodstream and has a big impact!
When you eat a meal that is CARB-HEAVY (especially refined carbs ~ anything made with white flour, baked goods, pastries, etc.) and/or high in refined sugar (a chocolate bar or can of pop) this is what happens:
- The meal digests quickly (because there isn’t enough complex carb/protein/fat to slow it down)
- The carb converts to glucose and is released into your bloodstream – spiking blood sugar levels
- The body (pancreas) is triggered to release a large amount of insulin to pull the blood sugars back down to normal (the dotted line at the 0 mark)
- BUT because the blood sugar levels spiked to higher levels in a short time period, too much insulin is released which then pulls too much blood sugar out of your bloodstream ~ plummeting the blood sugars down below normal levels
- THIS is WHERE negative symptoms creep in!
- Always pair a carbohydrate with a protein or healthy fat (a hard-boiled egg or a handful of almonds)
- When having a carb – choose complex carbs most often to slow the release of sugars into the bloodstream brown bread/buns with your sandwich or choosing a green (or Quinoa) salad over French fries)
- Don’t overdo your carbohydrate serving sizes ~ carbs won’t fill you up… they’ll only make you more hungry
- Drink more water for energy, don’t rely solely on carbs
About Nadine Howard
An accomplished healthy weight loss specialist & lifestyle coach with 12+ years of experience. She has helped hundreds of clients over the years lose weight, live healthier, and feel better than ever before!
Nadine LOVES to share her knowledge and educate her clients on the simple, healthy habits that can really make a BIG difference.
She will help clear up any confusion you may have about nutrition and develop the best plan for YOU moving forward.